Friday, September 7, 2012

Oh the Ironing...

Ok, so after my mile-long post yesterday I realized that I STILL managed to leave something out! So, here I am, back again, to finish what I started yesterday.  However, I promise to keep this one short and sweet.  What I had brought up but later forgot all about was ironing.  It's something we all hate to do but sometimes it just must be done...or so you thought. 

The key thing to remember is-items will dry in the state they are in.  Think about it, if you put a load of clothes in the dryer, start it up, and walk away for a couple hours-what do they look like when you get back?  They're all wrinkled, right?  Well that's your problem...you left.  Like a small child, laundry must not be left unattended.  If you've got something in there you do not want wrinkled or to have to iron, then don't start that machine unless you are going to be right there the second it stops running.  The main factor is to take those items out and put them up while they are still warm. It's the same for clothes as it is bedding.  With clothes it's really up to your discretion, I always gauge my temperature and time by what I'm putting in and how much of it there is.  Now not everyone has a separate dial for temperature, but if you do-USE IT!!! The temperature is just as important as the timing on a dryer cycle.  Like I said in the previous blog post, I can't ever remember seeing any tag with the words "Tumble Dry High Heat", therefore, I never use High unless it's on my towels-because that is not a place you want any moisture sticking around.  And for all other dryer loads, Medium, Low, or No Heat are the way to go-and even that should be based on what it is.

The 2nd most important thing to remember when drying is how long you leave it in there.  Like I said yesterday, leaving fabric in the dryer too long is like leaving cookies in the oven til they turn black...it's just cruel.  Also, another benefit to not over-drying your fabrics is it cuts out the need for ironing.  I swear!  Something most people don't know, but I'm trying my best to spread the word on, is that it's actually better to take items out when they are still the slightest bit damp.  And when I say slightest I mean it-you should not be able to wring water out!  Now this of course, isn't for everything-clothing I say go ahead and leave in til it's done, but as I've said before, take out immediately and put away (fold/hang).  However, when it comes to things like bedding, my clients (and me) HATE, and yes I do mean that in the harshest way possible, ironing.  Let's face it-ironing sucks...it's hot, it takes forever, you've gotta have enough space to even do it, if you're a klutz like me you get burned every single time, and that steam-bye bye hairdo!!!  And with items as large as what you dress your bed with, sheets, duvet covers, pillow shams, bedskirts-who's got the time?  Most of my companies have even started printing this tip as part of the care instructions on all of their packaging: Remove items from dryer while still damp and smooth on bed.  This is another reason for ensuring that the garment is just the slightest bit damp, but think about it-it's all warm and a little damp, take that sheet or duvet cover and go stretch it out across your bed, smooth it over with your hand, and just walk away.  You come back in about 15-30 minutes and what will you find?  A cool, dry, nice and wrinkle-free piece of fabric.  How is it gonna wrinkle if it's laying flat on the bed? It's not-that's the brilliance.  Same goes for dress clothes-take them out of the dryer when they're still warm and go immediately hang them up-they will stay nice and pressed and wrinkle free until you put them on-haha sorry, nothing I can do about how they look once you get them on!

So there's my secret tip to why my bed and my clothing always look so nice and pressed-even though my iron hasn't left the cabinet in over a year.  You just have to time it properly-just don't start a load of laundry, whether it's bedding or clothes, unless you are going to be there to tend to it as soon as it's done.  Don't let it sit in the dryer afterwards getting all cold and wrinkly.  And just remember, if you do, for any reason, have to use the iron-please mind your temperatures on that too!  There is no faster way to scorch something than to use a hotter iron than necessary-it's also a great way to break down those fibers and wear out the fabric faster; cutting down how long you get to use it.  Another great thing to remember when ironing is will moisture help here?  With items like cotton, polyester, and linen, a little steam or spritz of water may help your ironing go faster.  However, things made of silk, for instance, may spot if water or steam is used-so proceed with caution.

Hope this helps alleviate your ironing woes, maybe even eliminate them altogether!















No comments:

Post a Comment